The Music Critics Association of North America (MCANA) has given its 2020 Award for Best New Opera to composer Jeanine Tesori and librettist Tazewell Thompson for Blue.
For the first time in its 60+ year history, Lincoln Center is celebrating Pride by illuminating its plaza with a rainbow design and by flying the Rainbow Flag in front of its campus. For the rest of June, the installation acknowledges the histories, struggles and contributions of LGBTQIA+ communities and celebrates the full spectrum of queer identity.
After the success of his debut as Conte di Luna in Il trovatore and his missed debuts (due to the Covid-19 pandemic) as Roberto Devereux at Teatro Massimo Palermo and as Nabucco at Erfurt DomStufen-Festspiele, and also his awaited return to Nice Opera House for Lucia di Lammermoor, Italian baritone Federico Longhi returns on the stage with one of most significative role of his repertoire, Rigoletto, in an extraordinary context, the Music Parc of Parma, in front of the Paganini Auditorium, home of the Philarmonic Orchestra Arturo Toscanini.
Reposted in part tribute to the passing of Dame Vera Lynn at 103 I was in my first decade during the Second World War. Two voices over the radio made me reach for the off switch: Vera Lynn and Kathleen Ferrier. Both sounded to my child’s ears as though they were at a funeral, whatever … Read more
69th Wexford Festival Opera further develops its digital presence for 2020
to present a reimagined Festival
Waiting for Shakespeare…The Festival in the air
Sunday, 11 October – Sunday, 18 October 2020
Wexford Festival Opera today announced that it has taken the difficult decision to reschedule the previously announced artistic programme to October 2021. This is due to the ongoing worldwide uncertainty regarding the continuing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and social distancing restrictions into the autumn, and in the best interests of the health and welfare of the Festival’s audiences, artists, staff, and volunteers.
Concert highlights from Verdi’s opera Don Carlo ends the season’s hiatus for visitors to the Semperoper: With stars Anna Netrebko and Yusif Eyvazov – the interim programme Aufklang! will present special formats until the scheduled summer break
THE 2020/21 SEASON – New perspectives
The Pierre Boulez Saal presents over 150 concerts and events
LMP Live! – London Mozart Players plan first UK chamber orchestra performances together since Covid-19 struck
- ‘LMP Live!’ – a series of three socially distanced classical music concerts in summer 2020
- LMP will be one of, if not THE first UK chamber orchestras to reunite to perform together as lockdown eases
- Concerts will be London Mozart Players’ first performances together since Friday 13 March
- Celebrated soloists Tasmin Little and Jennifer Pike will perform alongside LMP
- Concerts to be filmed as live and streamed as free to view Facebook and YouTube Premieres in partnership with Classic FM, the UK’s most popular classical music station
- Venues: Westfield London, Shepherd’s Bush; the Church of St Giles, Cripplegate (City of London); Mansfield College, Oxford
- Programme to reflect core LMP repertoire including favourites Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending, Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
- LMP was the first orchestra to deliver daily unique content with their ‘At Home with LMP’ series, which went live on 23rd March – lockdown day itself